Saturday 30 March 2013

Pro Badminton Players' Interviews


Pro Badminton Players' Interviews
Here's the page, where you can find interviews of players from all around the world. In this page, we have former and current greats and upcoming players from Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Denmark and etc. Check it out, and see their life of badminton, struggles and their point of views from these players personally.




Video Interview with Peter Gade



We were really fortunate to be able to catch Peter Gade for an interview during his stay in K.L, during the 2010 Thomas Cup. It was really kind and generous of Peter Gade in giving us his time for this interview and we at Badminton-Information.com appreciate it very much. Thanks a lot Peter!

As this was the first time we interviewed Peter, we didn't know what to expect and wasn't that prepared. We took videos of the interview but we could have made it better in terms of the set up and quality. We also missed out the first few questions on video. Our apologies!

Peter has been really open and friendly in the interview as you will see later in the video. He speaks fluent English and was very natural in replying my questions just like any seasoned professional sports men would do. More players like Peter Gade will definitely improve the image and popularity of Badminton. A great ambassador of the sport!

Below is part of the written transcript of the video interview and the video itself of Peter Gade's interview. Enjoy!



Chau Yap: At what age did you start playing Badminton?

Peter Gade: I started playing badminton at 6 years old. My parents brought me to a local club and played once a week and then I started to get crazy of this sport.



Chau Yap: Was it your childhood dream to become a professional badminton player?

Peter Gade: I started playing football at the age of 4 and only badminton at 6 so it wasn't so clear at the start whether I would become a professional badminton player. I was very good in football too. Then there was someplace else in Demark, that place was a very good place for youth projects, for talent projects in Aarhus another part and that made it a natural time for me to make a decision whether I should play badminton or football. And I choose badminton because I was more an individual, I was more on my own, I could take full responsibility, that's what I liked at that time. Since I've been missing the team part and being part of the team, but I don't regret my decision, probably it was a good decision.

Part 1 Video


Part 2 Video


Part 3 Video


Part 4 Video





And that concludes our interview with Peter Gade. Once again we would like to thank Peter for his time in sharing his experience and wisdom in badminton inside this interview. It's been a pleasure for Badminton-Information.com and we can't thank Peter enough.




Ong Ewe Hock's Profile
So who is Ong Ewe Hock? If you have been a badminton fanatic since 1994 then you would surely know him. How could you not recognize him...I mean he is quite good looking...ain't he? :)

I still can remember watching him play live on T.V. Enjoyed it very much! His determination and fighting spirit in every game is an inspiration to all...I never thought i would have been able to meet him in person but now here i am having an exclusive interview with him.

Well...I hope you will enjoy this as much as i do. If you are not too sure who he is or are just too young to have watched him play, here is his profile.

Name:Ong Ewe Hock
Date of Birth:14 March 1972
Birth Place:Penang, Malaysia
Highest IBF Ranking Achieved:World No. 2
Youth Achievements:- National under-18 doubles 1988 Champion

- National Under-18 single and doubles 1989 Champion

- National schools under-20 singles title
International Achievements:- 1994 Thomas Cup Team Runner-up

- 1996 Malaysia Open Singles Champion

- 1996 German Open Singles Runner-up

- 1996 Danish Open Singles Runner-up

- 1998 All England Singles Runner-up

- 1998 Thomas Cup Team Runner-up

- 1998 Commonwealth Game Team Gold (Captain)

- 2001 Sea Games Team Gold (Captain)

- 2001 Malaysia Open Singles Champion

- 2002 Thomas Cup Team Runner-up


Remember to Bookmark this page and come back for more Exclusive Interviews and many great pictures of Ewe Hock.

Ong Ewe Hock Interview Part 1

This is the Exclusive Ong Ewe Hock Interview part 1, former World No. 2, brought to you by Badminton Information.
What age did you start playing?

At the age of 13th, in Penang, this was considered late. I was actually more interested in soccer at the start. My elder brother, Ong Ewe Chye was a national team doubles player and it was mainly because of him that I got interested in the sport as I tagged along.

He was six years my elder. He was the national doubles player together with the Sidek brothers (Razif and Jalani) and Cheah Soon Kit - Soo Beng Kiang then.


Was it your intention to be a professional player from the start ?

No, it all started by just taking up the sport as a hobby. As I got better, I was invited to train with the Penang badminton state program. I later competed in my state's junior championship which I won. The three best players from each state in Malaysia were selected to compete against each other, which I also won.

From there, I was drafted into the national set-up. As I mentioned, I preferred soccer to badminton so it was unexpected that I ended up as a professional badminton player.


When did you realize you were good enough to be a world beater ?

It's a step-by-step process, from taking up the sport as a hobby to wining a few junior tournaments to thinking "I want to be the best in Malaysia" to wanting to become the best in the world. It's really a gradual process. The mini-success I had at junior level brought about the hunger for bigger things to come.


How were you noticed at the national level ?

It was an automatic process in that from winning the state tournament at juniors to winning the juniors at the national level, the selectors took notice of me. I was eighteen (18) when I was drafted into the national junior squad.


Penang seems to produce quite a few successful badminton players at the world arena. Why is that ?

Penang has produced Datuk Eddy Choong, Teh Kew Sun, Koay Kar Lin, Ong Ewe Chye, myself to Lee Chong Wei, the current world number two. Penang has a system whereby the players start from very young at the age of seven.

Over weekends, there are gatherings organized by the Penang Badminton State Association for the youngsters to learn the basics of the game. We encourage them to come and develop proper fundamentals rather than them going outside and learning all the wrong basics from the start.


Which year was you drafted into the national squad ?

1991, after Form Five, when I was nineteen, straight after my SPM. I got involved full-time in the sport. I won the national junior under 18 and under 20 and I was regarded as one of the next batch of up and coming stars to replace the current crop of players then, which consisted of Rashid Sidek and the Sidek Brothers, Foo Kok Keong, Kwan Yoke Meng, Cheah Soon Kit and others; basically the nucleus of the side that won the 1992 Thomas Cup.


Have you ever considered making a name in doubles ? Since your brother was a national doubles player.

I actually won a few doubles titles at the national junior level but my aim was always to become a national singles player since the day I joined the state training programme.


Did any of your batch mates made the same grade as you ? If not, what was the reason ?

It's all down to commitment. Some didn't take it as seriously. There is also the talent element and the luck factor. One who did make the grade was Yong Hock Kin. He was the second singles for our national team then.




Ong Ewe Hock Interview Part 2

This is the Exclusive Ong Ewe Hock Interview part 2, former World No. 2, brought to you by Badminton Information.
How many years were you on the scene?


I started playing internationally when I was 19 and I retired when I was 32. There you have it, 13 long years.

On your playing career which was the highlight of your career? 


The Thomas Cup has always been my favorite event because this is a team event and I felt really proud everytime I represented my country. The whole nation is supporting you and that feeling is unbelievable. I felt tremendous pressure but on the other hand I had enormous satisfaction, especially when I won a match for my country.

I still can remember this game between me and Haryanto Arbi of Indonesia in the 98 Thomas Cup Finals. I was playing in the first singles and was under enormous pressure because the whole nation was expecting me to deliver the first point to give Malaysia an early head start.

My hands were shaking at the start of the match even though I already gained experience from previous years. Thankfully, I did not disappoint and took the first game for Malaysia. I was absolutely relieved and delighted. That would have to be the highlight of my career. Too bad Malaysia did not end up as champion that year.

Which incident would you consider as a low point of your career?


In the 98 Commonwealth Games, my chances of winning the badminton gold medal then were really good. Unfortunately, I accidentally tore my thigh muscles. It was really disappointing and I would consider that as my lowest point of my career.




How would you summarize your career?

I think overall I am quite satisfied with my badminton career even though I was never ranked first in the IBF Ranking. The highest I achieved was number two and because of this, I am not entirely pleased with this fact.


Do you still play ? What other sports other than badminton ?

Of course, but not as often and competitive as I am used to. I am retired but I still love this game. Nowadays I play golf quite often as well and at times indoor soccer.


What do you think of the new points scoring system?

I think it is good because it's fairer in the sense that lower rank players have a better chance to pressure and possibly upset higher rank players. In this system, better players cannot take things easy as every point counts. Not conceding unforced errors are keys to winning a match.

From a spectator point of view, I find it more interesting and exciting as the points are usually closely matched. However, I find the duration of games a bit short. Maybe IBF can consider a best of 5 games format.






Interview with Lee Chong Wei
Date: 25/5/2008

I recently did an interview with Lee Chong Wei and I am pleased to announce that it is finally ready for posting. He is not only a great badminton player but also a really nice and humble guy. He is in my view, a role model for all kids, teens and adults alike.
Hope you will enjoy this interview as much as we do. You might get some inspiration from his story and could one day become a great player yourself. Anything is possible when you have the will! :)

I would like to hereby thank Chong Wei for his time and hope he does really well in the coming Olympics game in Beijing. All the best!

Lee Chong Wei
Lee Chong Wei with Chau Yap



1. What age did you start playing?

I started playing badminton from the age of 11 years old.



2. Was it your intention to be a professional player from the start?

Actually that was not my intention at the start, it happens naturally as my father trained and encouraged me to play badminton when I am young.



3. When did you realize you were good enough to be a world beater?

I think it was when I am 17. That was the year when I won a lot of local tournaments and felt that I stood a chance to enter the national team. And yes my dreams turn reality that year as I was drafted to the national team set up that year.



4. How were you noticed at the national level?

I was noticed at the national level and drafted to the national team because I played in all the major local tournaments and won several of them.



5. Penang seems to produce quite a few successful badminton players at the world arena. Why is that?

I think that is because there are more people in Penang who are interested in playing this game. However this Phenomenon does not confine to Penang only. Instead it happens throughout the North Malaysia region, places like Ipoh or Alor Setar. In general the North Malaysia region has produced quite a lot of world class badminton players over the years.



6. Which year was you drafted into the national squad?

I was drafted to the national squad when I was 17 years old.



7. Have you ever considered making a name in doubles?

No, I played singles right from the start and never did consider playing doubles.



8. Did any of your batch mates made the same grade as you? If not, what was the reason?

Only a few have managed to overcome the obstacles of becoming a professional player. Players like Kuan Beng Hong, Gan Teik Chai and Lin Woon Fui are those selected few just like me. By the way, Kuan and Gan are both from Alor Setar.

Many players have drop out half way. It might be due to oneself, it might be due to their mental blocks or it might even be due to their training methods. A lot of factors and reasons are in play here.



9. What is your career highlight?

I would say that it is when I took the BWF ratings World Number 1 spot. That I would regard as my career highlight up till this stage.



10. Which incident would you consider as a low point of your career?

I think it's when I loses a game, (Lee and me burst into laughter), nothing beats the feeling of losing no matter how big or small the game is.



11. What do you think of the new rally points scoring system?

I think that in order to win in this new scoring system, one has to play at speed. You have to attack when the opportunity arises. There is also less time to recover in between points as every rally counts. Unlike the old 15 points scoring system where player's stamina and endurance is much needed because of the longer rallies that are often seen in matches.



12. Which player you admire at the start, both at the local and the international scene?

I think it would be Sun Jun. When I started picking up this sport, he was then the world champion. I really admire the way he play his game as he has quick reflexes and lightning speed on court though he is just small in size.



13. Who do you regard as the all time best player?

I personally think that the all time best player would be Yang Yang and Zhao Jian Hua. Although I have not seen them play in person, their achievement in badminton is nothing short of amazing. The more recent one for me would be Peter Gade as he was the World Number 1 consecutively for a few years when he was at his peak.



14. Which tournament you most want to win and why?

I actually have 2 tournaments that I most want to win. One is the Olympics and the other would be the World Championship. My reason is because no other Malaysians have won these 2 tournaments before and I am hoping I can bring glory back to my country.



15. Who is your most difficult opponent and why?

That would be Lin Dan. Probably because many a times I am not playing the game that I should. When I am playing my own game without pressure, I get good results from my match against him.



16. What is your strength in your game?

I would say that it is the explosiveness that I possess in my game. Like a crouching tiger waiting to pounce on it preys.



17. Which part of your game can be improved?

I think I need to improve more on my mental fitness, the physcological part of things.



18. Who is your best friend on the circuit?

That would be Taufik Hidayat on the international scene and Kuan Beng Hong on the local front.



19. How is the coaching standard in Malaysia?

Not bad. We do use a lot of overseas coaches in our national team set up. That is because BAM would like us to learn the techniques and training methods from different countries, like China, Indonesia and Denmark. I am currently coached by Misbun Sidek.



20. What is your advice for beginners and intermediate players?

Well, my advice to them is to focus on their studies if possible. (Lee and me burst into laughter again) Like me, part of the reason that I chose to play badminton as a profession is because I don't like to study. Of course now I have some success to show but the road to success is really hard.

As you know, they are so many badminton players in Malaysia and to be chosen out of the many thousands and even millions of people is not an easy feat. Talent is needed but that alone will not bring you success. Dedication, perseverance and self discipline are must haves as well. So really, my advice for young aspiring badminton players is to focus on their studies if got a chance to do so.



21. Do you consider being a professional badminton player a rewarding career?

It's quite good, nothing to complain to about.



22. What do you hope to achieve before you retire?

I would love to retire at the peak of my career. Having won all the major tournaments there is in badminton. But of course I am only hoping that I can do so. If cannot also have to retire. (Lee jokingly said)



23. In your opinion, whether it be local or overseas, who are the up and coming players?

I am not too sure about the overseas one but for the local ones, I think Tan Chun Seang from Alor Setar and Chan Kwong Beng from Taiping has the potential to succeed. Both of them also come from the Northern region of Malaysia. In my view, the 2 of them have the best chance to take over Malaysia's singles baton. They are already representing Malaysia on some smaller international tournaments.

Arif Latif is another young player that has the potential to become Malaysia's Singles player one day. He is only 18 years old and a bit small in size but if he continues to work hard in training, he has a good chance to make it.



Interview with Hafiz Hashim
Date: 11/11/2011


Muhammad Hafiz Hashim born September 13, 1982 in Kota Bharu, Kelantan, Malaysia is a Malaysian badminton player. He achieved worldwide fame when he won the Yonex All-England Open Badminton Championships in 2003.

Hafiz was coached by Misbun Sidek, the eldest of the Sidek brothers and national singles coach. He's the younger brother of former world#1 Roslin Hashim. Achievement:
- 2002 Commonwealth Games-Champion
- 2003 All England Open-Champion
- 2003 Dutch Open-Runner Up
- 2005 Thailand Open-Champion
- 2005 Swiss Open-Champion
- 2005 Dutch Open-Champion
- 2005 German Open-Runner Up
- 2005 Denmark Open-Runner Up
- 2005 Sudirman Cup-Champion(second division)
- 2006 Philippine-Open Champion
- 2009 India Open-Runner Up
- 2010 Commenwealth Games-Champion(mixed team)

1. What age did you start playing?

7 years old, from my dad who is an avid fan of badminton. 8 years old I was in the state team.


2. Was it your intention to be a professional player from the start?

Winning titles, be the best in the world. Bringing glory to the country.


3. When did you realize you were good enough to be a world beater?

18 years old.


4. How were you noticed at the national level?

Well, it's in the process. When I was 17 years old I won the National Circuit under 18 (MSSM). Then when I finished my high school at 17 years old, I went to a professional club, Nusa Mahsuri formed by the Legendary Sidek Brothers.


5. Which year was you drafted into the national squad?

When I was 19 years old I was drafted to the national squad to play big tournaments, like Commonwealth Games, Thomas Cup and etc. I'm still under banner of the professional club, Nusa Mahsuri. Not until year 2008, I was drafted to BAM.


6. Have you ever considered making a name in doubles?

At the beginning I've not thought of playing doubles as the main event. Now towards the end of my career, I'm considering playing doubles. This is what normally what singles player does, when they have not much result in single on the international stage. They'll switch to doubles. \

Just to name a few international players who switched to doubles and are making quite a big name for themselves, such as Cai Yun of China (4 times World Champion), Shoji Sato of Japan, Markis Kido of Indonesia (Olympic Champion), Joachim Fischer Nielsen of Denmark ( currently world number 3).

So in the future, if I don't have result in singles then I'll consider playing doubles and then if there's no result in double I'll consider retiring. At the moment, retiring is still not on my mind. I still have a lot of goal yet to be achieved.


7. Did any of your batch mates made the same grade as you? If not, what was the reason?

Current World number 1 Lee Chong Wei is the same batch as me. There are few who didn't have much success such as Yogendren, Sairul Amar Ayob and there's too many to list down who didn't even make it on the international scene. For the reason, well it's hard to say; probably they are not so lucky. Most of them have good commitment and discipline in training. Maybe they don't have the tournament talent to reach elite level.

Talent is mostly based in the mind. For example, the players who succeed in tournament only give 85 percent in training, where as the players who are not so successful gave 95 percent in training, but when it comes to tournament; the players who succeed give 95 percent, they play almost a perfect game, but when the player who don't really succeed they play only 50 percent of their potential. So at the end of the day, it's all mental. Training and commitment is fairly important. So does the mind set in tournaments.


8. What's your highest world ranking?

The highest, it would be #5


9. You currently under the banner of KLRC , how's life over there?

I'm currently happy with this new banner. It's more professional lifestyle, as it's more flexible where I decide on my training programme to succeed towards my goal. It's less pressure from under aspect but there's still pressure of performing well in tournaments.



10. How many years are you already on the scene?

18years old until now I'm 29 years old. 11 years.


11. On your playing career what's the highlight of your career?

One of the highlight would be the 2002 Thomas Cup Semi Final match against China. I played in the second singles against Bao Chun Lai, then the World Junior Champion and much established player than I am. I won that match, which on paper I was most likely to lose. That was a breakthrough in my career, being young player.

The second highlight, would be 2002 Commonwealth Games, I won the much more experienced Wong Choong Hann. I've never win him in any tournaments before that. On paper I was a major underdog.

Lastly the greatest highlight so far in my career would be the 2003 All England, being a champion was unbelievable. The route to winning this title is also exceptional, as I have to beat a few well known players such as Yong Hock Kin, Chen Yu of China and in the final, the clear favourite and world number 1 Chen Hong.


12. Which incident would you consider as a low point of your career?

Losing is the lowest point of my career, especially in the early rounds. Doesn't matter, in what tournament I've played. Another thing would be losing to an unknown player especially from un-established badminton nation. I feel tremendously upset, when the case of losing is not that these players played well, is when I played extremely under par.


13. What do you think of the new points scoring system?

21 point scoring format is faster in pace and it's not easy to win. The high intensity and pressure is there throughout the whole match. You got to keep on your toes all the time. If you just slightly lose the focus, you could lose the match as well. In my preference, I still prefer the old 15 points scoring system, as you get much more satisfaction.


14. Which player you admire at the start, both at the local and the international scene?

Well to be honest, there are no players I specifically admire at the start, but I still watch some matches. That's why I developed my own style of play. After high school, I admire Misbun Sidek because he's my coach.


15. As a player, what is your strength?

Attacking, skills and control



16. Which part of your game can be improved?

Physical strength, fitness and consistency.


17. Is it important to have a favourite stroke? What is yours then?

Yes of course, when a player is in trouble in a match; that is where he needs to use his favourite stroke to change the game around. The cross net is my favourite stroke.


18. Were you good in other sports as well or badminton was just 'it?

I do play soccer quite well but it's just for fun.


19. Can you name a few international players, current or retired, who you regard as best or famous for a specific technique or an area of skills?

I admire Lee Chong Wei because he's the world #1. He has the ability to stay at that position for a long time now, for almost 3 years to be exact. I admire his consistency. Second, Lin Dan for his character on court, mental strength and unpredictable. Taufik Hidayat for his strong wrist work and a talented player.


20. Who do you regard as the all time best player?

Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia. He's very consistent and committed. Lin Dan is great, but from my point of view he is unpredictable.


21. Who were your coaches during your international days?

Misbun Sidek, Rashid Sidek and currently Hady idris.


22. Can you spell out the difference in coaching styles from China, Malaysia, Denmark and Indonesia? What are their Strengths and Weaknesses?

It's all about the same. Except for China, as they have a huge circle of players to choose from. Therefore, they have bigger groups of upcoming young talented players to take over the seniors.


23. Nowadays there are a lot of former players or coaches going to Europe to pursue their badminton career. Is it a good thing for badminton?

It's good for the competition. It's good for these former players and coaches. It gives them another chance and new experience to succeed in badminton in other countries. Probably in their own countries, they have not much opportunity. All in all it's good for badminton, making it more popular.


24. What's your future goal in badminton? Any targets?

Qualifying for the London Olympics 2012, Thomas Cup and All England.


25. After badminton do you have anything in mind?

Perhaps coaching and I'll venture into some business.


26. What are the basic requirements to playing good badminton?

Discipline and hardwork.


27. What is your advice for other aspiring badminton players?

You have to have high level of discipline, commitment, sacrifice, dedicated and most importantly love the sport.



28. If you don't mind Mr Hafiz, would you mind sharing us about the down fall after winning the prestigious All England Championship 2003?

At that time, I was really young. Just 19 years old. I have no focus. Another thing is when you're a champion everyone is studying your game. Due to lack of focus in tournament and training, I've lost in a lot of early rounds, and lost my self confidence. I got to start from zero again, the hardest part is building up the self confidence.


29. You've been in this game for a long time. When do reckon you want to retire?

Yes, but retirement is not on my mind at the moment. There's a lot more to be achieved such as major tournaments. Perhaps in 3 year's time I'll consider.


30. Who do you think is current upcoming players in Malaysia? and why?

I still don't see anyone. They are still learning. They still don't have the eagerness to win, they have the hunger but no eagerness. They'll just upset some big names in the first 2 rounds then they're gone. Probably they still lack of mental strength as well.


31. There is currently still a big gap to fill between the young players and the senior players. Why is it so?

Experience, as senior players has more opportunity to play tournaments. The younger players have still a lot to learn. Their target and work in training has to be same level. For example, if this young player target to be champion but at night he goes out partying. He can't perform his best in training the next day. So the target and the work in training have to be same. All in all, discipline, drive and commitment.


32. Do you see any players in the world to take over players like Lin Dan , Peter Gade, Lee Chong Wei and etc.?

Chen Long


33. Is there any ways for BAM to improve their systems for better results on international scene?

More international tournaments for back up players.


34. Badminton-information.com is planning to start a badminton league. Do you think it will increase the level of the players especially the younger players? and why?

Yes of course, that's where you can see more talent for the country. Now it's hard to see any talent coming up.


35. Do you support the league and why?

Yes totally, better future for Malaysia Badminton.



Interview with Wong Choong Hann
Date: 9/1/2012




Wong Choong Hann born February 17, 1977 in Kuala Lumpur) is a professional Malaysian badminton player. He is considered by the nation as one of the Malaysia badminton hero. Choong Hann is former world number 1.

He currently resides in Sri Petaling, Kuala Lumpur. Wong Choong Hann's career began with the 1991 Malaysia Open. The first tournament he won was the 1997 Dutch Open. He represented Malaysia in 2002, where Malaysia emerged runners-up to Indonesia in the Thomas Cup championships.

In 2003, Wong Choong Hann reached the World Championships finals. In a thrilling three-game match between the veterans (both he and his opponent were above 24 years old then), he eventually lost out to the champion from China, Xia Xuanze.

Wong Choong Hann played badminton at the 2004 Summer Olympics in men's singles, defeating PrzemysĂ…‚aw Wacha of Poland in the first round. In the round of 16, Choong Hann was defeated by Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia.

The lowlight of his career occurred during the 2006 Thomas Cup where he injured himself by snapping an Achilles tendon while playing in a quarter final match against South Korea, he is required to rest for almost 6 months. He made a comeback to the sport in the Asian Games later in 2006 but was clearly far from his best form.


Wong Choong Hann

1. What age did you start playing?

10 years old, I picked it up from school. At around 13 years old I entered the KL state team.


2. Was it your intention to be a professional player from the start ?

At the beginning, I didn't take it so seriously. It's all about having fun. Then at age around 16 years old, I feel I had the potential. My intention from that age is to become the world number 1.


3. When did you realize you were good enough to be a world beater ? 

Actually to be honest, I don't know when I was good enough because when you're young your target is just getting to the top. So I just work my way to top, just trying to better and better. At around 14 years old, I started to upset the age group which are higher than my age group. Then around 17 years old I started to upset the senior players in the BAM. I would say at that age, I realised had the potential.


4. How were you noticed at the national level ? 

I won some junior circuit tournaments and I was the under 12, 15, 18 national champion(MSSM). But people only noticed you at the under 18 category, so that's how I was noticed. Winning the national under 18 when I was 17 years old.


5. Which year was you drafted into the national squad ? 

17 years old I was drafted to the national junior squad. At 19 years old(1996) I was drafted to the national squad.


6. Have you ever considered making a name in doubles ?

I've always stick to singles. When I was junior I played both. At around 20 years old I concentrated fully on singles.



7. Did any of your batch mates made the same grade as you ? If not, what was the reason ? 

Along the way, players from my batch moved on into other things. I would say it's a natural process.


8. How many years are you already on the scene? 

1996-2011, 15 years.


9. On your playing career which was the highlight of your career? 

World Championship 2003, runners up. It's one of the best moment, even though I didn't win but it was a closely fought match. I came pretty close. At that time it was a good result for Malaysia badminton. Another highlight is of course being the World number 1. To me being world number 1 is not so important, it's more important to reach better stages in the tournament, it's better to set a target in the tournament and reach to the target. For me that's more important. The last highlight would be the winning the Commonwealth Games.



10. Which incident would you consider as a low point of your career? 

2000 Thomas Cup, I didn't play well. I put unnecessary pressure on myself. Probably I was too young during that time to handle this kind of pressure. After the tournament I had a bad wrist injury. I had to go for surgery in early 2001.


11. How would you summarize your career? 

Well, it has been good, I'm happy with I've achieved.


12. What do you think of the new points scoring system? 

In my point of view, so far it's the best scoring system in badminton. The game got interesting; it thrills not only the players but the spectators as well. It requires high focus and intensity.



13. Which player you admire at the start, both at the local and the international scene ? 

From start I would admire, Zhao Jian Hua for his deceptive attacking skills and net. I enjoy watching Poul Erik Hoye r Larsen, Sun Jun and Hendrawan because they play a very smart game.


14. As a player, what was your strength ? Weakness, if any ?

Skills, fighting spirit is my core strength. For weakness, I would say the technical part but in a process you learn along the way.


15. Is it important to have a favorite stroke? What was yours then? 

I think for single players, one must be good at their attacking skills such as smash or chop and etc to reach the highest level in this game. Especially in the 21 point scoring format, it's difficult if you're a rallying player. Favourite stroke is mainly use to set up or kill your rally to score points. For my favourite stroke there's too many but net play and smashing is one of my favourites.


16. Can you name a few international players, current or retired, who you regard as best or famous for a specific technique or an area of skills? 

Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia for his signature backhand and net play. Lin Dan for his fighting spirit and confidence on court. Hendrawan and Sun Jun for their technical department and game plan. They are not strong in smashing, but they are good in the technical part that's why they play a great game.



17. Who do you regard as the all time best player? 

I would regard Lin Dan is the best of all time.


18. As one of the legendary Malaysian players, what is your vision in Malaysia badminton? 

It's important to be continuous in Malaysia badminton especially grooming up the youngsters. It's a very important process to keep up with the word of badminton and be the top badminton nation.


19. Who were your coaches during your international days? 

Han Jian, Morten Forst, Indra Gunawam, Li Mao, Misbun Sidek.



20. Can you spell out the difference in coaching styles from China, Malaysia, Denmark and Indonesia? 

China they specified on different elements. They very specific on skills, agility and movement around the court; agile movement is their strong point their training. Denmark is more on psychology and technical aspect. Indonesia is also focus on psychology and very good in technical play. Malaysia has experience from different part of the world. So I would say Malaysia training method is a little bit from everywhere.


21. How do you regard the local coaching scene? 

Since the inception of the sports school and badminton academies in Malaysia; the players that came out and became coaches, I would say Malaysia coaching scene is more vibrant and are more knowledgeable. On general knowledge is being well spread compare to before.


22. Do good players make good coaches? 

Should be okay, a player needs to be well taught to be good player. But it takes talent to be an exceptional coach. Coaching is tougher job, as you got to think for your players in all aspect of life such as before tournament, after tournament, in between tournament and etc. All in all, it's a more stressful job and you're not only thinking for and taking care of one player but a few players. As a player all you got to do is taking care of yourself. After training or tournament you can just go home.


23. What are the basic requirements to playing good badminton ? 

You need to be alert and focus and observant to your coaches. Interest and focus is one of the main elements; Badminton players are born to face failure and it's how you stay focus and carry on. This is what most players do to succeed.



24. Despite your age you are still playing international badminton. What keeps you going all this years? 

I grow to playing the game. I like the feeling, put up in a package in term of making money. But I still like the feel of competition and meeting old friends. I'm close to Peter Gade, Kenneth Jonassen, Xia Xuanze on the international scene. Chew Choon Eng, Chang Kim Wai, Lee Wan Wah, Chan Chong Ming in the local scene.


25. What is your future plans? Have you consider coaching the national team? 

Managing my badminton hall is my future plan. I'm more focused on academies and grooming youngsters at the grass root level. It's my main business now. As for coaching the national team, it could happen but not at the moment.


26. Who do you think is current upcoming players ?and why? 

Liew Darren has shown some progress lately. Zulfadli the World and Asian Junior Champion but it's hard to say as it's a very crucial stage. It's easy to be a rising star but it's not easy to be star.


27. Is there any ways for BAM to improve their systems for better results on international scene?

Badminton has done a lot things meeting good results. I didn't pay attention on the way things are running by the BAM.



28. Badminton-information.com is planning to start a badminton league. Do you think it will increase the level of Malaysia badminton? Do you support the league? 

It's good fun, especially at the grass root part where amateur and professional players meet. You need budget to make it without the money it's nothing. Yes I support but depends on how it works.








 









Date: 4/2/2012







Chew Choon Eng (born 28 May 1976) is a male badminton player from Malaysia. He competed in badminton at the 2004 Summer Olympics in men's doubles with partner Chan Chong Ming. He was in the Thomas Cup team in the 2002,2004,2006 editions. Together with Chan Chong Ming they had reached the world number #1 in the world rankings.


Chew Choon Eng

1. What age did you start playing? 

10 years old, picked it up from my dad. At 12 years old I represented Penang state.


2. Was it your intention to be a professional player from the start ? 

At the start it was just for fun. At 15 years old I was first generation of the national academy at Sri Garden. It's something like the sports school like we had today. I was just striving to represent my country. Then after high school, I just want to be like my seniors Rashid Sidek and Foo Kok Keong. They were driving sports cars.


3. When did you realize you were good enough to be a world beater ? 

When I was 20 years old, I upset the second pair for the country at that time was the Yap twins. They were behind Cheah Soon Kit and Yap Kim Hock. Then at the age of 21 years, I upset the top Thailand pair of Tesana Panvisvas and Pramote Teerawiwatana , I was like the current pairs of the backup players like we have now. I was able to upset a few big names in the early rounds but not able to win the whole tournament. I was not so stable.



4. How were you noticed at the national level ? 

Under 12 and Under 15 I was the national junior champion singles(MSSM). I won some national circuit championship as well. That when I was selected to enter the Sri Garden sports school when I was 15 years old.


5. Which year was you drafted into the national squad ? 

15 years old I was in the academy(national junior). At 17 years old I won some international junior Open title with my first partner Rosman Razak and then at 18 years old I was drafted to the national backup squad after high school. At 20 years old, I entered the elite squad.


6. Have you ever considered making a name in singles ? 

Yes, when I was 15 years old I focus on singles. Then around 17 years old I played both. After high school to enter the backup squad, at 18 years old I had to choose singles or doubles. I decided to fully focus on doubles.


7. Did any of your batch mates made the same grade as you ? If not, what was the reason ? 

Choong Tan Fook, Lee Wan Wah, Roslin Hashim, Wong Choong Hann. There were many who didn't make it, from my point of view; badminton is not like running or weightlifting. There's a lot of factors need to be overcome. Yes everyone trains hard; training smart and thinking smart on how to make it is more important. You need to put on your thinking head to survive and succeed in this sport.



8. How many years were you on the scene? 

1995-2010.


9. On your playing career which was the highlight of your career? 

In 2001, my partner Chan Chong Ming and me emerged as the bronze medallist in the 2001 World Championship. In 2002, it was a great year as we were ranked world number 1, prior to that we won the Japan Open and the Commanwealth Games. We were pretty close of winning the Thomas Cup in 2002 when we lost to Indonesia 3-2. It was unforgettable moment, as we defeated China at their home ground.


10. Which incident would you consider as a low point of your career? 

1998 to 2000, I considered it as the lowest point. We could upset top pairs but couldn't produce any results. There's no breakthrough in our career, that would consider the lowest period.



11. How would you summarize your career? 

Well I'm satisfied, everyone would have regrets I would say. Most people will think that if they do things differently, the outcome would be different. I would say I'm happy and satisfied; reaching the world number 1 rank is not an easy task. Even if I'm already retired, I'm still very much involved in this badminton line. I still love the sport.


12. Do you still play? What other sports other than badminton ? 

Yes I do, but just for fun and sparring purposes. Sometimes my friends Wong Choong Hann or Lee Wan Wah wants sparring I would spar with them. Nope, I don't play any other sports, just badminton.


13. What do you think of the new points scoring system? 

Well based on the previous point scoring format, the 7 points, 15 points and the 21 points. I would say 21 points scoring points format is the best so far. The 7 points scoring systems focuses fully just on psychology. The 15 points scoring format, is very physically demanding. The 21 points, you requires all elements physical, power, concentration and skills. It's very interesting and high intensity.



14. Which player you admire at the start, both at the local and the international scene ? 

Park Joo Bong from Korea. I truly respect him as a player and as a coach. He's equally good in mixed and men's doubles. Truly an all rounder. I was extremely grateful to have Park Joo Bong as my coach. He's the coach who pushes me and help me to make breakthrough in my career. He also guided me to become the world number 1. As I recalled till this day, Park Joo Bong gave me a call after the 2000 Thomas Cup held in Malaysia, he told me he'll give me another 1 year to prove myself Chong Ming. If after that year, there's no results he asked me to send in my resignation letter BAM by myself. After that phone call, I'm like the man possessed with drive and I represented Malaysia in 2002,2004,2006 Thomas Cup editions.



15. As a player, what was your strength? Weakness, if any? 

My strength would be setting up for the kill for my partner.It's more towards shots arrangement, skills and technical part. Another strength I would have is my agility and good movement. That's why I'm very fast at the net and setting up for my partner. As for weaknesses, my mental aspect is not strong. That's why game is not so stable, sometimes good and sometimes bad.


16. Is it important to have a favorite stroke? What was yours then? 

Yes of course it's important to have a weapon to score points. It's more important on how to apply your favourite stroke. For example, the whole world knows Cai Yun and Fu Hai Feng 's game. Cai Yun is the one who set up for Fu Hai Feng to kill. The tricky part is how Cai Yun is able to set up for his partner to kill no matter in what situation of the game. So all in all, it's more important to know how to apply your favourite stroke. My favourite stroke is taking control at the net.



17. Can you name a few international players, current or retired, who you regard as best or famous for a specific technique or an area of skills? 

Park Joo Bong, has amazing ability to control and set up for his partner; very consistent player. Cai Yun is also very good in set up and control. Very consistent player, no matter how tired he is or he had a tough match in all his rounds, he's able to give atleast 90 percent of his game. That's truly amazing. Markis Kido has high quality shots; you cannot guess where his shots are going. Hendra Setiawan, he is very steady, cool and consistent player.


18. Who do you regard as the all time best player? 

Park Joo Bong, I admire his strong mental strength and steadiness.


19. Who were your coaches during your international days? 

When I was at the national junior stage Kwan Yoke and Rahman Sidek were my coaches. When I enter the national team the coaches were Razif Sidek, Cheng Kang from China, Park Joo Bong from Korea, Yap Kim Hock and Rexy Mainaky of Indonesia.



20. Can you spell out the difference in coaching styles from China, Malaysia, Denmark and Indonesia?

All countries has different specialty. China focuses more power and speed. Korea is more technical part. Indonesia is also very technical. Malaysia is more overall as they have many different coaches from abroad. There's a lot combination, a little bit from everywhere but still the training style is not perfect yet. As Europeans, I don't know much as I hadn't had training Europe.


21. How do you regard the local coaching scene? 

We need to focus at the grass root level and then state. In the state association we must quality coaches as well. Based on my point of view, development and set up in the country is not so good. There's still some room for improvement.


22. Do good players make good coaches? 

A good badminton player, of course can be a good coach. Badminton is an individual sport unlike football it requires a lot technical and teamwork. A good badminton player becomes good on his/her own and proper guidance from his/her coach. What matter the most is the good player, has the heart and the communication ability to be a good coach. In another words, heart to teach is very important.



23. You are coaching at the moment, what's the difference? 

There's a lot difference, as player you just have to think about yourself and improve yourself. Coaching is more stressful because if you have 5 players so you 5 different weaknesses and problems to improve on. You have to think 5 different ways to solves these problems from 5 players.


24. What are the basic requirements to playing good badminton? 

Attitude; with the right attitude you can train up skills and footwork and etc.


25. As a former world number 1 men's doubles player, what's your vision in Malaysia badminton? 

My vision is for Malaysia to produce World and Olympic champions. We have good and talented players, but we have not reached the level yet to be regarded as one the best badminton nation until we achieved these targets.


26. Who do you think is current upcoming players?and why? 

Tan Wee Kiong, Goh Wei Shem, Mak Chun, Lim Khim Wah but it all depends themselves. A very good example like Arif and Chen Long, they were the same age, they were finalist in the Asian Junior. Arif lost in the closely fought match, more than less the standards are the same. After a couple of years, Chen Long is light years ahead of Arif. So I wouldn't say depends on one self.



27. Is there any ways for BAM to improve their systems for better results on international scene?

BAM is already doing a good job. From my point of view, BAM has to trust back their own people to teach the next generations. They paying a lot of money to foreign coaches but they pay very little to those local coaches. Malaysia has produced world number ones like myself, Chan Chong Ming, Roslin Hashim, Choong Tan Fook, Lee Wan Wah, Cheah Soon Kit, Yap Kim Hock, Razif and Jalani Sidek. Why these players didn't went back to BAM and be a coach. Choong Hann could be a coach, he's a very talented coach but there's something wrong between agreements with BAM

I would say. We former world number 1 still wants to fight for country and we love our country. Instead of paying thousands of dollars to foreign coaches, pay us. We fight for the country and of course we need to survive as well, that's why our Choong Tan Fook is coaching the Hong Kong team now. BAM has to take care of their world number ones and trust back their local coaches.



28. Badminton-information.com is planning to start a badminton league. Do you think it will increase the level of the Malaysia badminton? Do you support the league? 

To run this league, you need sponsors. No money no talk. Of course, it will increase the level, it's good for players to gain experiences. Yes I do support the league.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here..